TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
Why tubulars if all you are doing is workout rides? Clinches seem like they'd be a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle when you are 15 miles out and get a flat. Since you aren't racing this bike you don't need peak performance do you?
I already have a large inventory of tubulars and use them for both racing and training on the road and track. As far as flats are concerned, I rarely get them on tubulars, but if I do while riding, I simply remove the flatted one and put on the spare, pump it up and I'm on my way. Clinchers take longer to replace or patch a tube, and sometimes the tube gets pinched when re-mounting the tire, resulting in another flat. As far as performance is concerned, there really is no difference between clinchers and tubulars that are the same width when used on the road. On the track it's a different matter, because you can pump a tubular up to a much higher pressure without worrying about a rough ride, since a track is very smooth. I will be sharing these wheels with my 2 track bikes, where I can benefit from the high pressure performance of tubulars.