Thread: Weak Left Knee
View Single Post
Old 04-03-05, 05:48 PM
Wheel Doctor
Ride it, don't fondle it!

Bikes: Raleigh M80, Bacchetta AERO, Bacchetta GIRO, BikeE, 83' TREK 970, Catrike Speed, IRO Fixie/SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going thru the same stuff, I have a touch of patella tendonitis possibly from riding my fixie. I am 55 YY and have been cycling for 40 years. I think it is the result of asking my knees to do something different, namely slowing, skidding and skipping. It is a scary pain for someone who has had no knee problems. My regular non fixie cadence is 95/100. I'm riding a 70 in. gear. I'm also dialing in my positioning. Seat height, stem length and seat. This takes time to dial in a new bike but it also takes time to adjust to a new venue. It could have nothing to do with the fixie, since last week I also did some MTB single track with some short steep climbs that taxed my knees also. Dont despair, just be vigilant about geting the bike adjusted right, don't ride a big gear initally and spin. I chose the 70 inch gear because it is wind here but flat. With little or no wind I wanted a gear that would give me a 20 mph or so average speed at my normal in season cadence.