Old 01-23-10, 08:29 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
This for some reason intrigues me. A lockable box that can only be removed via the inside of the box. Of course, these things would not stop a concentrated effort (a dremel would make short work of it), but does afford (relative) security for bike accessories that one normally have to lug around off the bike. Some examples:

-Planet Bike Escape Pod
-Cargo Cache. Found this by post here on BF
-Swagman Whee Pod
-Sunlite's offering

Major concerns that I have are that they might block any seat post light/reflector, and hamper access to a wedge pack.
I have a Cargo Cache that I haven't used for a while. It certainly has its advantages and disadvantages. I do think that it would block a light on your seat post unless you have a ton of post showing. I have blinkies on my rack, so that didn't bother me. I never did try using a wedge pack and the Cargo Cache, so I'm not sure about that. I have a feeling that would depend on your setup, though.

The Cargo Cache is great for when you can't take your stuff inside. That's the main reason I bought mine- I couldn't take anything more than keys and a wallet into my job at the time. I also enjoyed being able to buy something from one store and then lock it up instead of having to deal with going into another store and checking it at a counter or something. The extra weight was never a problem for me. It doesn't seem much heavier than a soft trunk bag.

The main downside for me was that it wasn't as good for carrying groceries. I always felt like I could fit more on my rack with some creative grocery stacking and a couple bungee cords. It wasn't convenient to take off and put back on, either, but I'm not sure you would want it to be, really.