View Single Post
Old 01-24-10, 12:40 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
1. My townie basket is similar to yours- they are both grocery panniers.
2. You might consider a different rack. Something that has more than just two legs/struts. I'm thinking about either the Axiom Journey or the Odyssee
3. That bike...may just tempt me to give alloy a try.
Thanks so much no1mad. I love that bike. It just felt perfect when I test rode it last fall, and it still does every time I get on it. If I could fix the heel strike, I have no other issues with it. I even think it looks cool too.

I'll check out those racks. I got my rack super cheap on some Amazon deal (I think it was actually $4.99 at the time), so I'm not out a lot on it. I've been considering a longer rack, but they don't always list the dimensions. I tried moving the bag back on the rack, but it's as far back as it will go.

I'm really wondering if these half clips will help. That isn't the reason I bought them, but they do stick out a bit in the front, so maybe my feet will move forward enough to stop the heel strike. Of course, it might make the toe strike worse The SKS fenders do a very good job, but the way they are built, with the 'flap' sticking out, does cause toe strike sometimes at slow speeds. I may have to modify the front fender at some point.

Still thinking about a trunk though.