View Single Post
Old 01-24-10, 12:54 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
PDF of Sutherland's 4th (no charge for BF members)

See Post #7 below for download information. If you can't download it there (limited number allowed), then See Post #20 for another location.

I got a mint copy of Sutherland's 4th edition, published in 1985, as a gift this holiday season. I scanned the whole thing to PDF, and did OCR so that it's text-searchable. I also bookmarked all the chapters for greater ease of navigation. Scanned at 300 dpi, it turned out to be about 130 Mb total. Doing OCR also conveniently rotated the landscape table pages so that reading them isn't an exercise in neck-cranking.

If anyone would like a copy on a CD, drop me a PM with your real name and postal address. I'll wait a week or so, and then make copies.

Edit: several of youse have PMed me asking what you can contribute to defray cost. Well, if you all want to send me a 1970s Jack Taylor touring frame with 62-63 cm seat tube C/T, that would be great (!); failing that, it's just paying it backward for all the benefits I get from reading C&V -- no charge.

Sutherland's 4th is somewhat “slimmer” than the 6th edition that's available at icelord.net, but it has a lot of C&V lore in it, and a very extensive section on various coaster brake/internal gear hubs that were current at the time, too. I can probably shrink the file size somewhat by optimizing within Acrobat, but when I tried to do it to the whole package, it crashed -- so I'll have to do that chapter by chapter, and I've got other more important projects in the short term. I might also create a version omitting the brake/geared hub parts, for those who couldn't care less about those; but again, that's for the future.

Edit again: PS -- In case you're mystified about where the Barnett's in the thread title went -- I was thinking about making a similar offer for Barnett's v1-3 (no appendix), which I've assembled from a couple sources. However, publication date for that is much more recent (2000), only 10 years, not 25, like Sutherland's 4th. Sorry for the tease.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 02-15-10 at 10:40 PM. Reason: download information