Old 01-24-10, 01:08 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of those tires on my recumbent. No flats yet after a few thousand miles. I put some Continental Touring Plus tires on my crappy old hybrid, and had two flats in one week... but both were large screws that would have flatted any tire.

If money is not an object get a high-end Schwalbe. If it is, then look consider the Schwalbe Marathon, Continental Touring Plus, or even Continental Contact. I've also heard really good things about the Travel Contact.

I really like the fact that Schwalbe has a website where I can browse the tires and see what sizes they are available in. The Continental site leaves a lot to be desired.

Edit:
My Schwalbe Marathons are the 26x1.75 and 20x1.75 mounted on my long-wheelbase recumbent. That bike was my main ride for about a year.

My commute is over rough pavement, railroad tracks, and bridge expansion joints. I've ridden the bike at a Florida beach (wet sand worked, dry sand was hopeless). I've ridden on gravel roads here in Indiana.

Yes, the tires have some tread. The surface of the tire is very rounded with the tread covering the whole surface up to the sidewall. I found the rounded shape to be excellent for cornering. It feels much more stable when leaning to into a high-speed turn on a descent.

They are not the fastest tire in existence, but unless speed is your primary motivator, then who cares.

Last edited by dcrowell; 01-24-10 at 01:13 PM.