Old 01-27-10, 10:37 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser
A few. Some have been mentioned above.

Brooks saddles. My B-17 is the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden. It was good right out of the box, and it's gotten better with age (around two years now).

Carradice bags. I've got one on my main ride. It's indestructable, waterproof (or close enough), holds a ton of stuff, and looks great.

I'll second the poster above who mentioned Huret Duo-Par derailleurs. It works wonderfully. Really -- for shifting across a wide range of gears, is there anything better?

Sugino cranks. Sugino makes the perfect triple crank - 48-36-24. Who needs a 52-tooth big ring? Not me. But the mountain bike cranks, with a 44-tooth big ring, are too small.

Kool-Stop brake pads. They just plain work.
I was just looking closely at a new B17 Brooks saddle last weekend at my LBS.......I still cannot figure out how people break in these saddles?? They're so damn-rock hard when they're new! Is there some kinda secret way to soften them up quick.......like something weird like piss on them a few times, rub bear or alligator tail fat on them, leave them on you roof or bury them in your garden for a year??? Just boggles my mind on how anyone can stand the pain of breaking them in otherwise. I suspect i will eventually try owning one of these legendary saddles, but the rites of passage that you have to go through to get them comfortable seems not to be worth it...even after all these years.....

Chombi