View Single Post
Old 01-28-10, 10:43 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclesafe
Yes, I totally agree with this. Especially if one is touring where one needs to haul food and water, one won't have space and with the latter without a rack one won't also have the carrying capacity . There's also no space for other stuff that some might consider essential (water filter, bear spray, spare tire, bath wipes, yada yada). And weight is better distributed lower around the bike, rather perched up high.

OTOH, nun demonstrates IMHO a paradigm shift that is totally appropriate for some people in some situations. I mean maybe one wouldn't mind gorging oneself on peaches while still at the fruit stand. (Although I'd hold off on the wine.) And, if I understand correctly, nun has carefully selected his kit so that - except for his tent - everything fits in the bags he has selected. One can legitimately pick nits with the relative functionality of some of his choices (rain gear, sleeping system, tent), but once one justifies an alternative, one is forced to bite the bullet for racks and panniers. Take your poison. Substitute a good equivalent-warmth bag for his Hudson Bay quilt and it's not just an incremental 10 oz, it's 10oz + 28 oz (Logo rack) + 80 oz (pair of T-42 panniers) - 30 oz (Nelson) - 14 oz (Bagman) = 4lb, 10oz! The lawyers call that a slippery slope!

(Yes, there are lighter racks and panniers)

This rig isn't for me either, but I nevertheless find it intriguing. And I will be thinking of nun's kit while more heavily laden climbing Colorado's passes this summer.
Wow paradigm shift........maybe not, the saddlebag is pretty old technology, but thanks anyway.

Food and water are obviously big issues and I'd think twice about using my setup where resupply would be more than 100miles away. As far as food goes I pack couscous, honey, instant oatmeal, noodles etc as as I see them as essentials. I'll eat in restaurants when I can, but I have room in the saddlebag and handlebar bag to carry extra food and water. Water is a big issue and I carry 2x 1litre Smartwater bottles as they fit nicely into regular water bottle carriers. I can also put a 3rd water bottle on the downtube, but my setup won't get me across a desert.

As far as extra stuff goes,

water filter......pack puritabs

bear spray......I could find room for this

spare tire.......I use tyre boots

bath wipes.........toilet paper and alcohol

I cannot fit everything into a saddlebag, in fact I have 4 bags: saddlebag, handlebar bag, and silnylon bags for my tent and sleeping pad. If I slept on bubble wrap and used a bivy or tarp I could probably get it down to two, but that would be too much of a comfort compromise. I look for gear that will give me as much comfort as possible while fitting into my restricted volume. So the Hudson River Quilt is a great sleeping solution. It packs down to the size of a nalgene bottle, but provides good 3 season comfort.