Old 04-04-05, 02:45 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by PainTrain
Budget very tight here; thus the 7100 to start with. I just wouldn't put the price of the entire bike into new wheels. Got a good price from Harris. I'm not hard on the wheels (at least I think not), but I think I climb in too high a gear for the wheel's comfort. Hopefully the double-wall with 14g spokes will do the trick.

Grasschopper has it right. How the wheels are built makes a big difference. Hand built is the way to go with someone that knows what they are doing. Just rebuilding the old wheel with new spoke may do the trick.

Having just a couple of spokes with too high a tension on a new wheel can cause alot of trouble. First the 2 spokes snap which will then overstress the other spokes. Then one by one the other spokes snap until you rebuild the wheel with new spokes. had to do this with a new bike with nice wheels once. The main problem was that the wheels were originally machine built.

If your spokes broke in the middle, then straight 14g will help. If the spokes broke at the bend for the hub, then straight 14g will not make a difference over 14/15 double butted.