View Single Post
Old 01-29-10, 01:32 AM
matthieu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
My sister and her husband 'hinted' that sooner or later, I was gonna hafta break down and buy a car; did this a few times. My answer was standard -- "Don't want one, can't afford it, anyway." They FINALLY shut up about it.
I hear you on that, I put up with years of comments like that. It is almost like people want to see you forced into a car, but I think it mostly comes from a place of misunderstanding and concern.

For me it was a little different because I never actually learned to drive, which, growing up in the suburbs, was probably more of an accomplishment than managing to get a license. But like I said, it basically took a couple of years of me, my bike and my trailer doing everything on my own to stop people from making comments like that. The Christmas I rode the tree 15km back to my house is what finally quieted people down for good.

Although, after the better part of eight years of that I got burnt out by the whole thing and moved to Amsterdam, so maybe I'm not the best test case.