Thread: Republic bikes
View Single Post
Old 01-30-10, 10:37 AM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by beer slayer
a "high ten" frame will weigh more and flex more than a frame made from cromoly.

Next lesson is that if a frame has a sticker saying that it's cromoly doesn't mean that all of the 10 tubes are cromoly. A frame can have 1 cromoly tube with the sticker on it. the rest of the tubes can be high-ten.

End of the lesson, there's seamed cromoly and seamless. A seamed tube starts out as flat plate and is rolled then welded. You will not see the seam, but it's there. Seamed tubing can get a lenght wise crack in it or it can just not ride as well.

Seamless tubing is Drawn over Mandrell ( D.O.M ) this is suitable for building aircraft or racecar parts. Yes the good frames on the market are D.O.M tubing on all 10 tubes.

As for "double butted" it's thicker near the welded joints due to the strenght lossed during welding.

I hope this helps clear up some stuff with this frame. it's not that the bike will rust quicker. it's about quality and what you can get for your $
What is this 10th tube you speak of?

Originally Posted by fixiefanatic
My friend has one of these bikes and it is nice! I had rode on a lot of high-end bikes (dawes sst, windsor the hour, mercier kilo tt, etc etc) and this bike is just as nice, if not nicer than all of them. Also, it offers something a lot of other bikes don't..options! The colors are awesome and really make you stand out from the pack!
Dawes, Windsor, and Mercier are now "high-end" bikes? They are all an excellent value, but certainly not "high-end". Not even sure if you could call my Wabi "high-end", although the components are far superior to those on the Republic and many BD bikes. It's also twice the price. But it has options too. You can select the stem length, bar style and width, crank length, and gear ratio. I find that to be more important than choosing wheel/tire color combinations, unless you're looking to buy a bike as a fashion accessory.