View Single Post
Old 01-31-10, 08:17 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts
Fuji .... according to Sheldon Brown....

"In the early '70s S-10-S was the first Japanese bike successfully designed for the U.S. market. In the late '70s, the S-10-S was the first mass-produced bike with a 6-speed freewheel.

The first Japanese company to figure out the U.S. market was Nichibei Fuji (not to be confused with all the other Japanese companies that are called "Fuji"; "Fuji" is roughly the Japanese equivalent of "Acme.") The U.S. importer at the time was Eugene Ritvo, from the Boston area, and he seems to have been the first knowledgeable U.S. cyclist to succeed in getting a major Japanese bike maker to listen to him.
He spec'ed the breakthrough model, the S-10-S, and, when the first batch had persistent spoke breakage problems, he insisted that all of the wheels be replaced.

The S-10-S featured Sugino Maxy cotterless cranks (while competitive models from Europe were still using steel cottered cranks). It had a well designed, butted frame, available in a full range of sizes, nearly indestructible Ukai aluminum rims, and the bike soon acquired an excellent reputation for reliability and performance.

The S10-S had aluminum handlebars & stem, Sunshine high-flange hubs, and a Belt leather saddle. This model name was continued for several years. In 1977 it was upgraded to 12-speed, and later the name was changed to S12-S. "

I had both the S-10-S and S-12-S, and really loved those bikes. I had bought the 10 used, and it had the trouble with the spokes. It was really an annoying problem as I can remember. The bike was still really nice for it's time. The 12 I bought new, and put a lot of mileage on. I sold it to a friend who really liked it, since I had discovered Bridgestone Kabuki by then.

Last year I bought a 1981 Royale. To me it brings back memories of my Special Road Racers. It is a nice, solid riding bike. IMHO, it's like the Corolla or Camry of the bicycle world.

I just bought a Fuji hybrid on the cheap (price of two 12-packs of Bud) . It looks as though it ran into some malfunctions early in it's life, and then just sat for around for years. Still searching to find a scatch in the paint.

It was the top of the line sports/fitness bike in 1991, so it is comparable to my Schwinn CrossCut.

This link shows the bike with it's black-speckled ruby red color:

http://classicfuji.com/1991_22_DelRey_Page.htm

It you can find a good condition Japanese Fuj in a model that meets your needs, and in your size, that is reasonably priced,...grab it. They are good bikes.

Classic Fuji website link:

http://classicfuji.com/