Old 02-01-10, 11:33 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
not really. I mean for the attributes that make a bike fun I think of nimble, responsive and forgiving. The LHT is heavy and slow handling, it's a cross country bus. The LHT is more of a satisfying ride. All loaded up with gear or groceries, cruising along not stopping for anything. Solid. Gliding through town carrying a ton of stuff.
A Specialized TriCross could be fun, the Surly CrossCheck is just about perfect as an all purpose commuter and road bike for a range of speeds. I can ride the CC without hands more easily than the LHT. It feels more confident for riding a tight circle up and over ramps and slow speed close quarter riding. I think of the CC as the perfect Schwinn Varsity but 12lbs lighter.

Now bells and tires, that's where the fun is. Pick a fun bell and tire. I'm thinking of converting a heavy meditation bell into a bike bell, about 2 1/2" in diameter and 1/8" thick. Riding past a line of stopped cars with the dopper sound of a sustaining bell is fun.

"If others can compare it to a crosscheck that'd be super too. thanks..."
The LHT has a noticably lower bottom bracket. I can comfortably touch the ground with the ball of my foot when stopped at a light and sitting on the seat. With the CC I'm leaning on a pointed toe. This will also be noticable if you're riding through a corner as the LHT with long cranks won't tolerate much of a lean. Riding along with no gear it's easy to steer the CC with hands off by the seat. The LHT bars will flop more from side to side. What can make either bike "fun" for unloaded riding are nice light wheels and tires. I"ve been enjoying riding my old road front wheel with a 35mm Pasela TG. If 50% of my riding was heavy loads and touring I'd get the LHT, if 90% is unloaded I'd get the CC. The CC is a better load carrier than all the bikes I toured on when younger.

Last edited by LeeG; 02-01-10 at 01:46 PM.