Old 02-01-10, 01:14 PM
neil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by astroman
...something i can ride fast
I don't own an LHT, but own a bike with similar components to the complete*, similar construction, and that's built for the same purpose (I'm a proud owner of a Jamis Aurora). I love riding it, and have a great time by myself or with other touring bike owners. However, it is not a racing bike and the steel will slow you down, and wear you out if you're trying to keep up with the owners of lighter-weight bikes. Touring bikes are great for settling into a rhythm and keeping it for hours, but the overall speed is simply lower. So it's all in what gives you joy. If a long, steady, smooth ride is your idea of fun, then it likely will be a joy. Few owners of the LHT seem to regret the purchase. But if you ride in large groups, or want to push yourself to do that distance a little faster every week, then probably not so much.

*The major component differences between the bikes that I'm seeing are XT vs Deore on the rear derailleur and hubs, plus the Aurora's brifters vs barcons on the LHT. I'm sure many LHT owners will shortly blast me for suggesting the two are comparable, though.