View Single Post
Old 02-04-10, 06:02 AM
Harvey2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow. I've always loved the Brit bikes and the Dutch and Dutch styled bikes. My problem is I'm too bloody short for most of them. The itch to ride something with an upright seating position became a necessity so I began looking online for the various iterations or the classic three speed. I ended up getting a GT Aerostream through REI for $320.00 and change. Haven't had the chance to ride it yet because this is central MN. The Aerostream has a three speed internal hub, fenders (although the front fender isn't long enough in the rear) with a Gates belt instead of a chain. Plastic chain guard but it works. 700c wheels and came with sprung luggage rack and panniers. Pull back bar. Aluminum frame and chro fork. Out the door for three hundred for a new bike.

I know it won't stack up in any way to the Pashleys and Raleighs etc but for a short person there really isn't too much from which to choose. I'm not hard on my bikes so this GT Aerostream ought to hold up. Still going to keep an eye out for a build candidate or better yet, the real thing. Around here though, they're equivalent to hen's teeth.

Just thought I'd throw out this bike as a potential option for those who read this wonderful thread and want a modern variant of some of the features which the classic utility machines were appreciated.

Harv

Last edited by Harvey2; 02-04-10 at 08:27 AM.