View Single Post
Old 04-05-05, 11:40 AM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a similar situation on my commute due to some road widening construction. During the construction, westbound La Jolla Village Drive is two lanes wide west of Via La Jolla, and, currently, between Via La Jolla and the offramp to Gilman Drive they are very narrow lanes, and it's a steep uphill. Everything to the right of the construction barriers is a mess, perhaps navigable by mountain bike, but no way on my road bike.

On the local email lists experienced cyclists are complaining about the situation, talking about using alternate routes, getting the construction crew to widen the lane, etc. But I just ride in the center of the narrow right lane (there is no oil slick). Yes, cars pile up behind me, and their motors are loud as they accelerate to pass me when they can finally change lanes into the adjacent left lane, but it really doesn't bother me. There is no reasonable alternative, and I'm not really holding them up for any significant amount of time. I know I have the right to be there, and I think they can tell from my demeanor and/or body language that this is the case, for no one has even dared honk at me yet (and this has been going on for a few weeks now).

Do not sacrifice your safety in the name of avoiding inconveniencing motorists behind you. You were there first. You have the right-of-way in that lane. Claim it. It's yours. Think of it as a good opportunity to educate others on how a bicycle should be properly ridden in this situation. You are operating a legal but low-powered vehicle in the manner that it should be operated, probably not any slower than a full cement truck would be. You are the example in your community. Others will follow.

Serge

Last edited by Helmet Head; 04-05-05 at 11:45 AM.