View Single Post
Old 02-05-10, 10:11 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I think it really depends on the size and functionality you want. Here are my thoughts.
If you want something 18L or larger you'll have to go with Carradice, Zimbale Sackville or maybe Origin8

Nigel Smythe - to expensive and too posh
Sackville - also from Rivendell, cheaper than Smythe, but still not cheap and I just don't like the design
Zugster - nice bags and colourful, expensive, but I didn't know they made a saddlebag.
Zimbale - Look to be nicely made, they have more features than the Carradice and are more expensive.
Minnehaha - small and look to be lacking in features, like side pockets.
Acorn - again looks ok as small/medium capacity, quality is good, but the leather straps are a bit thick for easy use.
Origin8 Classique - looks interesting, cheap, made from 600D nylon...I wonder what it weighs, dimensions are the same as a Nelson, but I don't think it has a longflap

For me the Carradice and the Zimbale are the sand outs and you can get a carradice nelson Longflap from www.wiggle.co.uk for $77.
Ok, yes, Zugster doesn't belong in that list. I am intrigued by their front bag, the Rando.

Emily O'Brien makes a rear bag, the Dill Pickle, but it's a bit more expensive: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bags/...ml#variousbags