View Single Post
Old 02-09-10, 10:41 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Planetperki
thanks... i'm bidding on it now, so hopefully in less than 24 hours i should potentially own my first fixed gear project. its pretty exciting...
|
Thats the wrong way to win an auction unless you like to overpay. When you bid, you are advertising to the whole world that you just put in a bid, and you give competitors time to continue to bid it up. The best way to bid is to decide the absolute maximum you are willing to pay, then bid in the last minute. This does not give you time to get emotionally attached to the item (and overbid), nor does it give anyone else time to engage you in an illogical bidding war. In the meantime, if some other idiots keep outbidding eachother, you stay out of it and don't contribute further to the price increasing. Use that time to consider what you are willing to pay. If the price goes over your maximum before the last minute, then just let it go. There are millions and millions of items on ebay...something just as suitable if not better will turn up almost immediately.