Thread: Sciatica
View Single Post
Old 02-11-10, 10:51 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
The really unfortunate thing is that most of us don't do what we know is right until pain motivates us. When it comes to back pain, an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure. By the time pain comes along, you've already done some damage.

Sit and stand with proper posture. Don't sit with your legs crossed. If you work at a desk, ensure the ergonomics are correct. Stand straight. Stretch regularly. Pick things up properly. Follow a regular exercise regiment that strengthens your core. Don't allow yourself to get overweight. Nothing new or surprising, just simple truths.

I think tight hamstrings are particularly bad, and common among cyclists.

I'm guilty of breaking all this advice, and the result was a long and intimate relationship with pain. Words can't describe.
+1
I defy anyone to study the human spine and conclude we are the product of Intelligent Design. Mine got to the point that I couldn't ride, or:
~sit in a chair (which meant stacking books under my monitor & keyboard and standing all day, every day for 4 months)
~drive a car, sit down for a meal, or go on dates
~sleep for more than 3 hours (in any position), without having to get up and walk around for 10-15 minutes

It took two surgeries and a boatload of physical therapy, and I do yoga at home at least twice a week now, two+ years later. I still had pain after the surgeries, but at least I could sit in a chair. Being mindful of your posture is HUGE.

[Edit: the best part of the whole experience was waking up outside, because after 4 months of waking up from the pain and walking around, I'd been conditioned to sleep-walk! After getting through it, I'd wake up standing under the stars with no pain, high-five myself and go back to bed. I eventually cured myself of sleepwalking by stacking coins on the doorknob, (which would clatter whenever I tried to leave.]

Last edited by calamarichris; 02-11-10 at 10:55 AM.