View Single Post
Old 02-12-10, 09:58 PM
DVC45

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rubberbandito
I am new to bike tinkering. But I found this Nova and I like it alot. I am thinking to buy one. But it seems to me it needs

1. a gel seat, probably $40
2. the 11-32t rear freewheel cog, $25
3. possibly a front derailler, new crank and new chain ring. I think I can find a good used crank on ebay for $20 (currently there is a shimano 600), a decent front derailler for the same and a chain 2-3 chain rings for maybe $20.
4. a Dahon Traveller Rack for about $35

So all that adds up to about $175

If you can get one on ebay for $200 you then have a 21 speed bike f$45 or $375.

Or you can buy a Downtube 8H with Sturmey Archer Hub and front suspension for $389 on the website. I think this comes with rack and good seat and crank that can add chain rings. So you add 2 chain rings and a front derailler for about $40 and you have a 21 speed bike for $420 with the nice Sturmey Archer Hub and front shock. You pay only $45 more for this.

Does it make sense to buy the Nova. The one thing I like is that everyone says how good the fold is on the Nova and that its so light.

Any advice? Currently ebay has 2 Nova's and no 8H's. I'm tempted to jump since the Nova is there ready to go for much less then msrp. But I think it might be smart to wait a week or two for the 8H to list on ebay.

I plan to use it as a commuter and to stuff it in the Oyster suitcase to travel internationally and load it up with maybe 40 lbs of gear. I weigh 180. The Nova says its rated at 200lbs and the 8H at 225. Is this because of the freewheel hub on the Nova and the stronger hub on the 8H?
Two things that sold me on the Nova is that, it can be rolled while folded and its lighter than the 8H that I had (gave it to my brother). If those are not important to you then get the 8H. I'm not sure about the Nova's carrying capabilty though. Oh, I never seen the 8H for sale in eBay.