TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomo_Ishi
Wow wait, the carrier is screw-on right? That's same as any cog ain't it? I wouldn't do it if you are stripping the thread with normal cogs. ... a better hub is probably a better solution. ... But that doesn't mean it ain't cool. I would love one, but it's an import here.
Unlike a screw-on cog that you may want to remove in the future to either change gearing or replace a worn cog, the Miche carrier is meant to remain permanently attached to the hub. Therefore, I installed mine with Loctite red threadlocker, tightened it with a cog tool in a large bench vise and let it cure overnight before riding. The carrier has now become an integral part of the hub and will never come off. The only disadvantage is that the hub will now only work with the Miche cogs, but they are relatively inexpensive and readily available. The nice thing about this system is that the lockring only needs to be tightened lightly, so it is easily removed and there is no chance of stripping its threads or the hub lockring threads. Oh, and one more advantage is that the Miche cogs are symmetric, so you can reverse them when they get worn on one side, thus doubling their normal life.

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 02-13-10 at 08:12 PM.