View Single Post
Old 02-15-10, 08:34 AM
Allen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tatfiend
130 Nm is more than any other IGH which specifies it is rated for including the Rohloff which lists a limit of 100Nm for input torque. Most hub makers do not even specify a limit but if they did I suspect that it would be a lot lower than the NuVinci specification. Rohloff also state that if their hub is geared to their specified input ratio limits then it will withstand use by even world class athletes. The old SRAM P5 Cargo is rated for 85Nm and yet was rated for use on tandems and cargo bikes.

Per posts here people have used considerably lower input gearing than NuVinci lists without problems including one member who has reported using it with an auxillary motor on a cargo bike. On the same bike he reportedly destroyed bothy Sturmey Archer and SRAM hubs IIRC before switching to the NuVinci hub. The main limit to going to lower gearing is the very low high gear that would result with the hub's overall gear ratio range of 350%.

I have a NuVinci hub bike I assembled myself, an old Trek 950, using the 2 to 1 ratio listed and it works fine. I do not see the 130Nm torque limit as a limitation and actually consider it a testament to the strength of the hub considering the other hubs I have listed specified torque limits.

Do you actually have any experience with the NuVinci hub or is your rant based strictly on the manufacturer's documentation?
That's me.

I have a 24 tooth cog on the NuVinci, a 42 front ring, and a 350 watt inline Panasonic motor.
SRAM's 5 would not hold a gear, always slipping down, the SA cracked in half, and the NuVinci has never given me a second of trouble.