View Single Post
Old 02-15-10, 04:07 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Thanks! Great idea; I should have thought of it because someone at work sent me a huge file that way recently.

Here's the ReadMe:

I’ve scanned Sutherland’s 4th edition (1985) at 300dpi resolution, and then processed it with Acrobat’s OCR (optical character recognition) feature, to allow keyword searches. In addition, I’ve bookmarked all the chapters, for ease of browsing.

The total manual came out to 131 Mb, which is fine for me, but others may be more frugal with disk space; so I also did a reduced version that’s only 26 Mb, but it does a funny blur/sharpen sequence when displaying, which takes more time. Also, the image quality is just not as sharp. Both versions are available; see bottom of post.

If anyone prefers to have the individual chapters, should you want to fool with it yourself, or prefer to read it that way, then I can provide those on CD; just drop me a line.

To access the bookmarks, click on a blue page icon on the left. Bookmarks are all set to change the page view to “fit page” when you navigate using them. To me this makes sense. If it doesn’t to you, you might be able to adjust that using Acrobat (at least the full version will, maybe not the Reader).

The files are here (right clicking might help, then save to disk):

131 Mb version

26 Mb version

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 02-15-10 at 10:36 PM.