Old 02-15-10, 05:41 PM
sooprvylyn
I suck, but you're worse

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes Fuzz is correct about the threadings.

When Bikes were coming into the US from all over the world there were different standards for each bike, French, Swiss, Italian, Japanese English etc. Those older wheels, typically the ones with bolt on axles, have a cone which threads onto the axle. Since the threading can be different from hub to hub, yes even front and back, you really need to make sure you bring the nuts from the old axle with you when you buy the new axles. With luck you are using newer wheels that were made in the last 10 years since they have been standardized. You can still find bolt on hubs on some of the department store bike, and that stuff has been standardized now.

You may have to get new cones and locknuts to go with the axles if they cant get the right threading for the cones you already have. Maybe another 5 bucks per axle.

Also someone at the shop might tell you that you need cone wrenches to do the job-this is hogwash and they just want to sell you service or tools. You can do this with regular wrenches, it is just a little trickier thats all.

The cheapest option is to get a 15mm wrench, cut it down to 3 inches long and carry it with you. Then you dont need to muck with the QR stuff. I keep nuts on my bike and carry a wrench.

Last edited by sooprvylyn; 02-15-10 at 05:44 PM.