Old 02-15-10, 08:57 PM
Randy Bosma
Grandpa with spunk

Bikes: (See sig block)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally, a slice of time to post more of those pix.

From that spur off the end of the Burnham Greenway under the Chicago Skyway that leads to the 100th Street underpass, you have your choice of century-old paving brick with a pronounced washboard effect, or a sidewalk with some freshly broken bottles. Take the street - it's only 200 feet of shakin and rattlin.
Chgo_01.jpg

Looking back at 100th Street as in crosses a railroad into Calumet Park.
Chgo_02.jpg

If you turn right (south, 1/2 mile) on Avenue G you can visit the State Line Monument which was erected in 1838 and has stood here ever since.
Chgo_03.jpg Chgo_03a.JPG

I continued north on this park street along the west edge of the park. Had the weather been more agreeable, I might have chosen the longer loop along the lakefront.
Chgo_04.jpg

After you exit the park at 95th Street you'll turn northwest on Ewing Ave. and cross the Calumet River where you can see this huge stockpile of salt that will be applied to our streets during the winter.
Chgo_05a.jpg

I continued on US 41 north on Macinaw Ave. Traffic is usually reasonable in this area, and the street is plenty wide. Chgo_05b.jpg 3 miles later you'll be at 71st Street where the Lakefront trail begins.

Last edited by Randy Bosma; 02-15-10 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Merged inline pix into narrative.