Old 02-17-10, 11:33 AM
Mike Mills

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jgedwa
What tires are those? And what rims also? That is some serious meat under that bike.

jim
Schwalbe Kojak's. A great tire. They are light weight, despite their large size. I run them at fairly high pressure so they roll really easily and they climb really well. They add a bit of pneumatic suspension to the otherwise hardtail ride. But they give back any energy they absorb, so they do not suck the life out of your ride (and your legs).

Knobby tires have a place but it isn't on any bike used on paved surfaces. The Kojaks, if nothing else, roll quietly and smoothly.

The rims are Arayas. I would have to go look at them to get a model/part number.

The galvanized spokes are fine but after almost 20 years and living near the beach, they have begun to rust. A set of stainless spokes would be nice but these wheels have been absolutely bullet-proof, so I won't touch them until something goes wrong.

Sixty Fiver, I agree. Non-suspended, hence light weight and stiff, with stable geometry, these bikes make a very excellent touring bike. Mine has all the eyelets in all the right places and plenty of clearance for racks and fenders - front and rear.

Last edited by Mike Mills; 02-17-10 at 03:25 PM.