Old 02-17-10, 12:40 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
I love big Schwalbe tires. I have never seen or used the Kojaks, but I am a fervent convert to Big Apples. Big Apples are the secret to all human happiness, I now believe.

How big are those Kojaks? I thought I saw that they were not offered in especially wide variants, but clearly that is not correct.

So those are just the stock rims? They look very wide (even by the wider standards of that day). Hmm. Might have to look into that. Setting aside the bizarro Pugsly-type rims, the widest rim I know of is a variant of the Sun RynoLite that is basically twice as wide as the normal ones. I actually like RynoLites, but the super-wide ones are awfully expensive.

jim

Originally Posted by Mike Mills
Schwalbe Kojak's. A great tire. They are light weight, despite their large size. I run them at fairly high pressure so they roll really easily and they climb really well. They add a bit of pneumatic suspension to the otherwise hardtail ride. But they give back any energy they absorb, so they do not suck the life out of your ride (and your legs).

Knobby tires have a place but it isn't on any bike used on paved surfaces. The Kojaks, if nothing else, roll quietly and smoothly.

The rims are Arayas. I would have to go look at them to get a model/part number.

The galvanized spokes are fine but after almost 20 years and living near the beach, they have begun to rust. A set of stainless spokes would be nice but these wheels have been absolutely bullet-proof, so I won't touch them until something goes wrong.

Sixty Fiver, I agree. Non-suspended, hence light weight and stiff, with stable geometry, these bikes make a very excellent touring bike. Mine has all the lugs in all the right places and plenty of clearance for racks and fenders - front and rear.