Old 02-17-10, 07:29 PM
zeo_max

Bikes: FUJI Nevada 1.0 2009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simplify
I totally understand. Sometimes the adjustment seems fine until the bike is ridden, which is when you'll really know if it's okay or not. If you don't want to make changes yourself, you could take it back and tell them that when the drivetrain is under load, it is still rubbing. They should be willing to make it right. I really recommend doing it yourself though, if you feel up to it. No one will ever care about your bike as much as you do. The more you can do yourself, the better off you'll be.

Of course there are going to be some gear combinations that might always rub, like the big chainring/big cog or small chainring/small cog, which is why you should not use those combinations. That's cross-chaining. I'm sure you knew that, but for anyone who doesn't, I just want to be clear.
I did as best I could with only the barrel adjuster. I don't wanna mess with the other deraileur settings because I don't wanna mess everything up. The chain is still awfully close to the cage on the 3-8 combo and there is still some friction, but the noise has reduced somewhat. I'll live with it, and just do what I can, but I ain't taking it back to the shop, it's pretty useless.

Last time I went to the LBS, I paid $18 for a "checkover". It's one of those packages where they do several things to your bike, including gear adjustment, which obviously didn't work. At least I didn't loose all my money since they lubed inside the cable housing and gave the bike an overall check.