Old 02-19-10, 10:02 PM
akansaskid
Freddin' it

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacing Middle Chainring: Remove Crank First?

Am replacing the middle chainring on an FSA Gossamer (external bearing) triple crankset for the first time. The ďnutsĒ at the back of the middle ring that the chainring bolts screw into almost, but not quite, clear the small ring when I try to remove them out the back (toward the left side). So they wonít come out and I canít remove the middle ring unless I either remove the inner ring first, or at least loosen it enough to allow a little play enabling the chainring ďnutsĒ to slip out past it.

Complicating it is the fact that that my T-30 Torx is in a foldout set, and so is too long to reach the chainring bolts that hold the inner ring (from the back, or left side). Those bolts are too close to the bottom bracket for the tool to make it. Looks like I need to just remove the whole crankset and go from there.

Before going further, is there a way to remove the middle ring without removing the whole crank? Yeah, yeah, I know itís only three more fasteners, but the crank is fairly solid now, and I donít like disturbing it unnecessarily, or next Iíll be posting about a creaking crank! So, I'm ready to remove everything, but thought I'd ask here first, since I won't be completing the work until Sunday.