operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akansaskid View Post
Am replacing the middle chainring on an FSA Gossamer (external bearing) triple crankset for the first time. The “nuts” at the back of the middle ring that the chainring bolts screw into almost, but not quite, clear the small ring when I try to remove them out the back (toward the left side). So they won’t come out and I can’t remove the middle ring unless I either remove the inner ring first, or at least loosen it enough to allow a little play enabling the chainring “nuts” to slip out past it.

Complicating it is the fact that that my T-30 Torx is in a foldout set, and so is too long to reach the chainring bolts that hold the inner ring (from the back, or left side). Those bolts are too close to the bottom bracket for the tool to make it. Looks like I need to just remove the whole crankset and go from there.

Before going further, is there a way to remove the middle ring without removing the whole crank? Yeah, yeah, I know it’s only three more fasteners, but the crank is fairly solid now, and I don’t like disturbing it unnecessarily, or next I’ll be posting about a creaking crank! So, I'm ready to remove everything, but thought I'd ask here first, since I won't be completing the work until Sunday.
Just remove the inner ring already. Use grease and reinstall to proper torque