View Single Post
Old 02-20-10, 06:36 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
If you can't manage to do a decent job of tightening these bolts without a torque wrench how are you ever going to make an adjustment out on the road? It pays to know what a moderate torque feel like, using a short handled hex wrench or a 4-5-6 Y-style wrench.
I'll try to be a little more tactful but I also disagree with this. For a new mechanic the only reasonable way to learn how the proper torque settings is to use a quantifying (i.e. torque) wrench and see how tight various torque settings feel. After some experience, you can dispense with the wrench and go on feel and past learning. Sheldon Brown used to poo-poo torque wrenches too but he had decades of experience.

There is a "rule" mechanics use; "new mechanics overtighten small fasteners and under tighten big ones." The number of postings we see about loose crank arms and bottom brackets supports this.