View Single Post
Old 02-20-10, 07:22 PM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
It's a bicycle seat clamp whose sole job is to keep the post secured. Tighten it until it feels tight. Check by trying to twist the saddle. If it seems OK ride it. If nothing moves you're in, if the seat moves tighten a bit more. Once the post is secured enough to meet your needs any tighter is needless strain on the parts..
That is what the LBS owner described to me. Do not use a long handled allen key, but rather a Y-type. Snug the bolt into the clamp and turn 1/4. Twist saddle to see if post moves in seat tube. If yes, give 1/8 of a turn, check and repeat until saddle (post) does not move.

However, being a sufferer of C.O.S. (Chronic Overtightening Syndrome) I thought it best to have a torque wrench to ensure I do not overtighten and as Operator states, "Torque wrenches allow anyone, from zero to most experienced to consistently and accurately set bolts to their proper torque." To me, in this case only of course, Operator is correct.

However, many of you, being more experienced than Operator, seem to be saying to me that a torque wrench is not necessarily a wise choice? Other factors come into play here? Ok, perhaps I should return this thing before I do evil (and become like Operator) and check into those beam-type torque wrenchs at Park Tools (I'll probably have to take out a second mortgage on the house though). :-)

I wonder if they sell that carbon spray as well......?