Old 04-07-05, 10:28 AM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, in two weeks on Saturday April 23rd I am entered in my first road race. Let me explain my situation to you first.

I have no desire to do this often. I have been told that because of my hip replacement it is probably too dangerous for me to be in a race situation at all. Crashing is not an option. But this is not a crit. This is a 24-mile course that they say is great for beginners.

I simply want to be a part of it all and be able to say that I at least once in my life, was in a real bike race.

My plan is simple enough:
Line up at the very back and just ride my own ride as best as I can. If I do not pass a single person, so be it. I've been in my race. The goal is to stay safe.

I've been told that the peleton (should be about 130 to 150 people entered) will be going over 20 mph ave. I let them all go without trying to stay up in there. Instead, maybe I focus on someone going at about my pace and ride on their wheel?

I figure my usual training ride of 26 miles average speed of the upper 16's will be good. I expect to get a bit of a bump up too just because of adrenaline? So maybe I could do it in around 17 mph ave.

Any thoughts on my plan and any advice as to what to expect in my first-ever race would be much appreciated.