View Single Post
Old 02-23-10, 11:58 AM
gmacmt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Cox
Does gmacmt intend to use the Black Diamond Lightsabre bivy again; and, if so, because it works well or because gmacmt already has it, or...?
Considering the lightsabre again, but also considering something without poles to save weight.

What makes of sleeping pad and sleeping bag did you choose, and what temperatures do you expect to encounter during the colder parts of your tour?
Previously I used an inflatable sleeping pad (forget the make) that was purely inflatable, and packed down to nothing. No foam or whatever thermarest uses. It was slightly heavier, but packed much smaller. Said pad popped, and I am not sure if they are still in business. Not entirely sure what I will carry at this point.

I expect cold in AK and canada. The pacific coast was quite warm, so I was able to simply use a sleeping bag liner (cotton I think) and wear a my down tucked into my pants with a hat, fleece gloves and dry socks. Rarely was I cold. As far as sleeping bags, I am going to go with something in the 30-40 degree range that is ultralight. Like the TNF Beeline that weighs in just around a pound.

Does gmacmt intend to carry his gear on his body, in a pack, or on the bike? I ride with an extremely comfortable custom newspaperboy bag setup that makes 15 pounds and more doable for my kind of rides, but, not having ridden with it for an entire day, I wonder.
I was always taught that gear on the body was a bad idea. Although a light backpack that distrubutes the weight well could compliment a small saddlebag. Interesting idea.

What tires and gear ratio does gmacmt have in mind?
This will be a product of training and experience. Dont know how strong I will be coming into the ride. I am absolutely an advocate of spinning though, and will likely choose a main gear that I can maintain a consistent +-15mph while spinning.

Regarding fenders, I ride year around and at my speeds (see above) I have found that a rear fender only (no front fender) meets my needs.
Downhill in the rain without a front fender is a miserable experience.

However, I service my chain (which receives significant crud from the front wheel) regularly by wiping it down and oiling it.
Cleaning and oiling a chain is an important part of touring, if you want to finish.

Finally, I noticed a lock ring tool on gmacmt's list, and I wonder why he would carry this.

Does he plan on changing cogs for different portions of his ride?
Potentially. It can be made very lightweight with a few choice holes.

A little info on ultralight touring...

http://www.adventurecycling.org/feat...ackinglist.cfm

Last edited by gmacmt; 02-23-10 at 12:20 PM.