View Single Post
Old 02-23-10, 03:49 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robertkat
I'll keep that in mind next time we have to pull someone because they are in the early stages of hypothermia. Consider that Randonneuring is not racing and can be quite different from "ultra" events in both it's participants and it's intent. Many people abandoned because of safety concerns and that they were no longer enjoying the ride.
If you are too cold you're not riding hard enough

I have very little body fat. All I wore was a thin long sleeve wool base layer and a thin long sleeve wool jersey -- no rain jacket, booties or any of that stuff. Yes I was cold too. But I stopped in a McD's and stood/knelt under the hand dryer to warm up. It's Randonneuring so while it's not a race a rider needs to practice independence self-sufficiency and not consider DNF'ing and SAGging in. The 300km has a 20hr limit. Since they're not "racing" they can sit in the controls and warm up and/or anywhere else for that matter and take all 20 hours to complete the 300km.