Old 02-28-10, 07:36 PM
lydahl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano RapidFire Shifters - education needed

I was recently volunteering at a church garage sale when the pictured bike came in. It is a Raleigh Touring Bike, 200 CT. It came with a Cat Eye Vectra Computer, a Headlight, and Nashbar Bottle Rack and Rear Rack with a Nashbar bag that had a repair kit, safety vest and a few other goodies. The bike was purchased in Florida and somehow made it to Texas. It was covered in dust as I assume it was stored in someone’s barn. I know a little about bikes so I kept my eye on it, because of the dirty condition and two “flat” tires it was marked for $ 10.00. I bought it at the end of the first night, took it home and cleaned it up. The bike has the following components:

• Shimano Altus A20 Rapidfire Plus
• Shimano Altus C10 Rapidfire Plus
• Shimano Altus C20 Front Derailleur
• Shimano Altus A20 Rear Derailleur
• Shimano Altus C20, 28/38/48 teeth

Question # 1 - I have no idea how the Rapidfire shifter works as each have two thumb levers. How do the shifters work?
Question # 2 - The front derailleur will shift from the low range to the mid, but will not hold and shifts back to low on its own. I cannot get the front derailleur to engage the high gear at all. Why is this happening?
Question # 3 - The rear derailleur will not engage at all, the shifter is very stiff. Why is this happening?
Question # 4 – The Cat Eye Vectra is not working; does anyone know of a link where I can learn how to change the battery and how the device functions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_1530.jpg (97.9 KB, 59 views)
100_1528.jpg (96.5 KB, 72 views)
100_1526.jpg (100.5 KB, 73 views)