View Single Post
Old 03-02-10, 06:33 PM
rubberbandito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephLMonti
Regarding the tire size, let me further explain. You are correct about there being two "20 inch" sizes, one is 406 and the other is 451. You are also correct in that a 406 tire will not fit onto a 451 rim and vice versa. However, even if you have a 406 tire and a 406 rim, I don't believe that they are always compatible....
When you proposed putting Big Apples onto your Nova, I was concerned that the stock rims might not be wide enough to handle BA's 2 inch width, even though they are also the 406 size. Make sense?
Hi Joseph

So got the Schwalbe Marathon 20 x 1.75 Kevlar Belted today from biketrailershop.com for $29 each. I was afraid that lower bottom bracket would not fit the Big Apples whic are 2.0 so went with the 1.75 Marathons. I installed both in 30 minutes, the rim is not a problem, a real breeze. Filled em up with 70psi and they feel great riding. These fit well but I doubt the big Apples will fit on the rear (you could easily put a Big Apple on front though). Here are a few pics to show the clearance.

I will update more later on, the M wave rack works great but getting more normal panniers which will prevent any and all heel strike as well as likely fitting this out with a Brooks Saddle and some Planet Wave fenders. I am also planning on putting on the front derrailur and picking up a Shimano 600 crank. I found the SIS shifter set for $15 online and will put that on and have an extra shifter since it comes with both. I am guessing I won't need more chain but if I will let me know. DVC45 has a Shimano 600.

I don't know why I can't post pics. Click here to see the pics

Last edited by rubberbandito; 03-02-10 at 06:50 PM.