Thread: High speed Yak
View Single Post
Old 04-08-05, 01:47 PM
hoogie
aspiring wannabe

Bikes: trek 520, thorn nomad, giant yukon, avanti aggressor, bauer racing bike, couple of other projects ...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Well, I had only been riding with the trailer for about 15 days, so it could have been a skill issue, but nothing like that ever happened without the trailer. I was going downhill, the trailer was heavily loaded, and the whole bike started oscillating from side to side, like the trailer was pushing me from behind. I had felt this kind of thing before, and been able to control it by braking gently, but this time, possibly due to speed, load, road conditions (?), the oscillation wouldn't come under control. It just increased until... well, honestly, someone told me I high sided, but I don't remember anything until the ambulance.

It could have been operator error, but I really don't know what I was doing wrong. I didn't grab a huge handful of brakes.

Anna
ouch, nasty! ... I have never really experienced any oscillations with my BoBYak, and that includes bombing down a bumpy gravel road where the lid on the box bolted to my BoBYak for the time being actually bounced off ... trailer was lightly loaded at the time.
I do find that you have to be a smoother rider as a sudden change of direction or lean of the bike can throw you. Most of the time I forget the trailer is there until the next uphill bit or the first corner on a downhill as you do have to brake earlier and gentler with that weight behind you and it does push you into the sharp downhill corners too!
I tow it behind a rather large thick tube aluminium framed MTB ...