Old 03-07-10, 08:13 AM
fx3000

Bikes: Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New rim too big?

I recently had my bike in for some service and it was recommended to me that I replace my front rim. I have a 2004 Trek 1000 and the rim was very worn out on the sides where the brake hits it. That rim that was on it was an Alex AT450, which I think was 622x13mm. The shop only had a rim in stock that was the right size but wider. It's says Alexrims Specialized Globe double wall and is 622x 18mm. The rim on the back is an Alexrims R390 and at 622x13mm and is a more natural width for the bike.

I had questioned the shop about the width of the wider replacement, but I also had mentioned that I was having some problems with spokes popping off on the older and they said the thicker rim would help with this. They said the main difference with the wider rim was that I would have to leave adjust the brake clamp adjuster open futher. It turns out even leaving it wide open I am actually getting a little occassional rubbing. I am also wondering if having a rim in the front that is wider than the back is a bad thing. The occassional rubbing is not good and it might just be in my head but it feels a little out of balance when I ride it.

The shop said it was ok to go with the wider rim in the front but was that a bad recommendation?