View Single Post
Old 03-08-10, 12:55 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
1970's Centurion Pro Tour

Does anyone else have one of these? I just picked up a 1977 yesterday and I'm having a blast cleaning it up.

I didn't get into the hubs, the bottom bracket or the headset yet because I loaned my tools to someone a week ago, but I've taken everything else apart and cleaned and polished with no trouble. These pictures are mostly a "before," although I did try a wet rag on most places. The chrome, after using soapy water and plastic pot scrubber, is like new.

I found a Bicycling Road Test written by Gary Fisher about the same bike, and it appears to be almost bone stock. Of course, the toe clips are gone, and the saddle is different (and trashed) and it had cheap Schwinn tires on it.

Here are the details:

Frame: Tange Champion Double Butted Chromoly, half-chromed stays and forks, one set of bottle bosses, two sets each of bosses on the drop outs and fork tips, vertical drop-outs, beautiful fork crown, brazed on pivots for centerpull brakes.
FD & RD: Suntour Cyclone
Shifters: Suntour Barcon (friction)
Hubs: Sunshine Pro-am 36h with grease port.
Rims: Araya alloy 27"x1-1/4" x 36h without bead hook.
Freewheel: unknown Suntour 14-30
Crank: Sugino 52/36
Handlebar: SR World Randonneur aluminum 35 cm c-c at the hoods.
Stem: SR forged aluminum
Brake Levers: drilled Dia Compe with quick releases and adjuster barrels
Brakes: Brazed-on centerpull Dia Compe model G (outstanding!)

I can't wait to finish it and ride it!!

edit: The hubs were SUNSHINE. After four years of coming back here periodically, I have no idea how I never picked up on the fact that I wrote SUNTOUR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0183.jpg (94.0 KB, 272 views)
IMG_0180.jpg (91.2 KB, 327 views)
IMG_0179.jpg (92.7 KB, 334 views)
IMG_0178.jpg (93.9 KB, 372 views)
IMG_0182.jpg (91.9 KB, 270 views)
IMG_0181.jpg (92.5 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by DiegoFrogs; 05-12-14 at 11:29 AM. Reason: A brain spasm I had four years ago.