View Single Post
Old 03-09-10, 11:33 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
+1 to Tallrider's suggestion for the Tektro brake levers. I have the stock levers on my Cross Check (same as the LHT) and find them to be every bit as comfortable as my vintage 105sc levers from 1991.

I will politely disagree about the BR R550 brakes, though. I bought a pair and promptly brought them back the next day. I find the 'through-wire' style of cable straddle to be impossible to adjust properly. I had no luck in setting in correctly without having the spring-end just collapse like a Slinky when I pulled the lever. I've heard wonderful things about these brakes from many people, but my personal opinion is not too high (of any brake using the 'through-wire' straddle; not just these.)
Also being of the old-school ways, I opted for the Tektro CR720 wide profile cantilever. I kept the sliding straddle hanger from the stock Tektro Oryx brakes rather than the bolt-clamp hanger they come with. The CR720s took about 10 minutes to install and adjust both sets.
Another old-school canti option is the Velo-Orange CX Roberto or Grand Cru brake sets. They're based off the old Mafac design (like Paul Neo-Retros, without the price tag), and properly adjusted you can crack walnuts with 'em.