Old 03-10-10, 04:04 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shifting problem not sure from B-screw?

I am a newbie, but don't want to go to the shop for every little thing... On my road bike I have 105 shifting on a standard double, and the FD seemed much too high compared to the usual recommendations of 2-5mm clearance from the big ring -- I wasn't happy with the shifting. So after a ton of fiddling, I finally got it lowered and the cable tension figured out (I think) so it shifts noticably better/quicker up front.

However, in the course of trying to get everything going, I messed with the B-screw for RD adjustment, don't even remember why! It looks like the RD gets bumped down when the chain is on the largest sized cog about twice through a revolution when freewheeling backwards; it is also noisy when it does that bouncing up and down. When I took the bike out on the road to test, the front shifted great but now my rear shifting is sluggish and clunks very loudly. There is a very noticeable delay in rear shifting versus before. Was this from messing with the B-screw? The rear shifting was just fine 3 days ago the last time I rode it. Now it is sluggish and seems to clunk loudly shifting in either up or down the cassette and across all the cogs.

I don't think I turned the B-screw more than one or two revolutions either way but... Not sure of the proper procedure and how to tell whether the B-screw is turned in enough. Do I loosen it as much as possible then tighten it until the top jockey wheel is not seen to move up and down as I freewheel? Or should I pedal forwards instead of backwards to check this (I don't have a repair stand, but I could figure out someway to check it). Thanks for the help!!!