Old 03-11-10, 01:12 PM
hshearer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had the most wonderful ride today... thanks police!

I was riding down a busy road today, (not ideal because I was transporting my cat to the vet in a trailer, but a concrete island prevented me from crossing another major road unless I was on this main road). The road was wide and smooth, but the sides were covered in gravel and the remains of winter's snow. I wasn't looking forward to it, especially for the sake of my cat.

Here's where it gets awesome... the police were out enforcing the school-zone speed limit of 30 km/h (the road is usually 50km/h, so people go about 60-65), so, rather than diverting to the parallel side street with its stop signs and potholes, I decided to take the main road all the way to the clinic. I was able to ride down the middle of this wide, smooth road at the speed of traffic, non-stop. Nobody honked, tailgated, or expected me to move over into the slush and gravel so that they could pass me. For about 3 minutes, I was in a parallel universe where cyclists were people, too.

On the trip home, the police were gone, and the world was back to normal. It was great while it lasted.