Old 03-12-10, 08:53 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
I'm not always taking the lane, and I will move right to accomidate sometimes, we are sharing here afterall. BUT, when I see a parked car up ahead, or any number of possible reasons to not be glued to the curb, I simply won't be. I generally position myself so I can crash on the roadway and not land on the elevated sidewalk and compound fracture myself or drive my head into a mailbox, planter or light pole. Not looking to block traffic, because when I do that I slow to a crawl and weave on the lane. The legal onus for safety is for the overtaking vehicle to do it safety, no matter where they might have to pull out to do it.

I left edge the curb lane at the intersections, never sitting there for a right hook, and often carve left around a turner/half turner. If I'm turning left I'm in the left lane, period, cars don't like it.... too bad...it's where I'm supposed to be.
Sure, I don't advocate taking full lane all of the time, no matter what, that's just being a jerk. But majority of my commute has curbside dangers of all sorts (mostly debris, potholes and broken drains) so I need to take the full line most of the time, except for streets with bike lanes. But I am aware of the traffic behind me and sometimes let them pass me when I see a safe gap or before an intersection; I slow down and let the traffic clear, cars usually move in "packs" between lights. I'm also trying to be visible: bright colors, blinkers, signal my turns, etc.