View Single Post
Old 03-12-10, 11:46 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
So, if you are a smaller person, take that into account - when you hear guys (staeph1, I can here you coming) say they average xx miles / day and don't take rest days, you really need to discover for yourself what your daily milage will be. Most people say 60/day, some people definitely do a lot more, others a lot less. If you have to ballpark your pace, I would use 60 not 75 unless you are a very strong rider, even racer level.
Valygrl, your advice is always good. I had to chuckle about, "hearing me coming" though

Actually, to be clear I advocate taking it easy enough to not need rest days and when you need a break I recommend trying half days instead.

I recommend that anyone who is not sure what pace works for them do the following:
  1. Start out with easy days if on a long tour. On long tours you can make the time up later. This is better than overdoing and needing a day off right away.
  2. Allow more days than you will need if at all possible. A tight schedule can make the whole tour more stressful in ways it shouldn't be.
  3. Build daily mileage gradually as the trip progresses. No need for one step forward two steps back. The mileage will get easier as the trip goes on unless you train a lot more than I do and are in peak condition at the start.
  4. Never ride far or hard enough that you don't want to ride the next day. If that happens you did too much IMO.
  5. If you really need a rest consider riding an easy half day rather than take a day off. I find I recover better this way. I am not saying it is best for everyone, but I still recommend at least giving it a shot.
  6. Save full days off for doing something fun, don't waste them vegging out in front of a TV or something like that. Better to do a hike, go rafting, or whatever.