View Single Post
Old 03-12-10, 09:45 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Define "anything". It is most certainly worth something. Somewhere between $50 and $1200. Now as to why that is... Vintage Italian boom period bikes with lots of chrome command a premium over many other similar bikes. In absolute terms it is a very basic boom period bike. It's not the bottom of the line but it's nothing special. Really there aren't many clean C&V bikes these days that go for $50 but some folks just can't seem to understand the difference between a lucky find at a yard sale and the price that a bike would go for at fair market value in a forum like eBay or Craig's List in a major market. So, that is a very nice riding bike if a bit heavy (probably around 27-lbs), appears to be in very nice shape, and is quite flashy with lots of chrome. My guess (and it is only a guess though one based on watching eBay sales for quite a while) is that it would probably go for $200-$300 on eBay. And yes, those who say you could buy a better bike for that money are correct. You could find any number of Japanese bikes from the 80's for that much or less that would be far superior. So why would that bike command such a premium? Probably because it's very clean, very flashy looking and because many late 40-ish to mid 50-ish year old cyclists rode something like it in the early 70's or wanted to and have the disposible income to buy their childhood back. At least one similar bike in near mint condition went for $1200 last year and I'm pretty sure another one went for $2100 more recently but I don't recall for sure. If you can purchase it for less that $200 I'd say your getting a very good deal.