View Single Post
Old 03-14-10, 08:45 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
Most Pro riders are issued just two bikes for the entire season. One for training. One for racing.
They don't have a crit bike and a climbing bike and a road bike and a sprinting bike.
They have A bike.
This is something I thought about posting, but ended up passing on. But now that you've brought it up, I think it's very funny that we amateurs are often so anxious to emulate Pro style, but that we haven't caught up on this. There was a time when special climbing bikes, crit bikes, etc were fairly common, but that hasn't been true for a while now. But among amateurs it's still some kind of point of pride or symbol of "dedication to the sport" (at least in the mind of the special-purpose bike owner) to own a different bike for crits and road races, for example.

This is usually justified in terms of economics: that it's more fiscally responsible to buy and race a cheaper bike in crits. I feel like a broken record in those threads, pointing out that two bikes do, in fact, cost more than one bike and that frame-destroying crashes are not actually all that common. I usually end up getting shouted down.

But anyway, I climb on my crit bike and race crits on my climbing bike.