KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Metaluna
Yes that's really what sells me on discs too, the wet weather performance and long downhill braking performance. Also, for some reason on my bike cantilevers squeal like crazy, and I got tired of constantly tweaking the toe-in. I'm not sure why. I've tried different pads, brakes, and even a different fork (went from the default Surly Cross-Check fork to a Nashbar/Winwood carbon disc fork). It must have something to do with my rim (Velocity Dyad). The rear is always whisper quiet though.
Originally Posted by Metaluna

I can't say the disc had noticeably better stopping power in my case but the other factors outweigh that.

Check out the Gunnar Rock Tour. From the pictures it looks like it needs a suspension-corrected fork though. There's also the Rock Hound and Rock Hound 29'er, but from the pictures it looks like they don't have the rack-friendly caliper mount.
I had the exact same problem with a set of Avid 4 cantis on my JTS (which had open sport rims). I switched to a DT brake pad set and that helped a little, but they still squealed like mad in some conditions. In rain people looked around for the truck.