Old 08-16-02, 12:40 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always start with a strict and firm budgeted amount that my wife and I have discussed at length and agreed on in advance.

I argue the benefits of quality and performance while she, without insulting me at all, suggests that the budget for food and drink as well as a building to keep my bike in might be better served if I were willing to lug one or two more grams around with me or settle for equipment and accessories that Lance Armstrong would consider a bit inferior to his.

I know that in my wife's charitable mind she is thinking, "Sure the [you fill in the name of the accessory here] is lighter, smoother, more efficient than [repeat name of accessory here] the one you bought last month, but we need to have money for the kid's birthday." If she isn't, she should be thinking, "can't you lose another half a pound or carry one less ounce of water instead?"

Neveretheless, once the discussion is over and we reach an equitable compromise which takes my hobby and the household budget into complete account I embark for the LBS with an absolutely clear picture of the exact maximum I can spend and the quality specifications of the exact product I will receive for my money.

Both my wife and I are fully aware of but never verbally acknowledge the "LBS Factor" which must be be applied to these rigorous deliberations and final decisions at the time of actual purchase.

Soooooo...when I return from the LBS with a receipt for any amount less than double the planned purchase price we are both quite pleased.