View Single Post
Old 04-11-05, 07:30 AM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Whoodie
On my computer I try to keep a minimum of 100rpm. In fact my highest light gear rpm on the road was 240. But after a ride scroll through the computer and woo average cadence = 80rpm. If I am pedalling in excess of 100 then the average should be in excess of 100.

But wait a minute, when going downhill your cadence in most cases is zero and hence a total number of revolutions are divided by the Ride Time giving an "average cadence".

So my query is should the average cadence be:
1) an element of ride time (Total Pedal Revolutions) divide by Ride Time in Minutes or
2) an element of pedaling time ie when you are not pedalling - cadence calculator time stops.

D**n maths.

If (1) is right, then is once supposed to pedal forever even when circumstances don't apply?
My Cateye CD300 calculates all time into the cadence so when you are coasting, zero cadence is averaging into the total hence average cadence is considerably lower than actual pedaling time cadence. My Polar S520 measures cadence only during pedal time hence the same ride shows considerably higher than average cadence. Apparently your computer uses the former method. I, for example, pedal normally at a 90-105 cadence with forays to higher cadences. At the end of the ride, typically I will show an average cadence in the 70's with the Cateye.